17.2.09

Afghan Accomplishments

During the fall of my third year of medical school, I was on a psychiatry rotation, which we all affectionately referred to as "Psych-ation." Basically meaning that you'd go in to work for a few hours a day and have the rest of the day off. I got rather bored during this time and decided to develop some new hobbies. I read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series in its entirety (those of you who have read this epic series know it's a significant time investment), and decided to teach myself how to crochet. Not wanting to start a small project (of course not) I jumped right in with deciding to crochet an afghan. Why not? Now remember, this was 5 1/2 years ago. And to my credit, in the interim I've crocheted 2 scarfs and 2 baby blankets. The afghan travelled from California to Michigan with me at the start of residency, and proceeded to sit in two different closets until, the momentous event occured last weekend, and I finished the afghan! If I were to sell it and I billed my current hourly rate as a resident (which is somewhere around $10/hour, so I could probably do better working at McDonalds), I think this afghan would probably go for about $500 or more. Any takers?

1 comments:

Wandering said...

I don't suppose an auction at the MedSend dinner would be an option?

Too mercenary, I suppose:)