26.1.09

Top Books of 2008

About a year ago, we started collecting an online list of the books we're reading. In fact, the whole list can be viewed here. Just to mention a few that I (Eric) found the best:

1. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs. An agnostic Jew who is editor-at-large for Esquire decides to try and live the bible as literally as possible for a year. It's hilarious, and actually very insightful and gracious, as an outsider looking in at religion.

2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. A best-seller that's fantastically intense and a great look into Afghani life both in south Asia and in the US.

3. The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie. Because it's the first Christie novel I've read since junior high, and it will not be the last.

4. The House at Pooh Corner by AA Milne. I don't see why I should have to justify this one. Stories don't get any more relaxing than this.

5. My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. Another wonderful Potok story, about a young Hasid with a genius for art who uses crucifixions as his artwork and collides with his heritage.

6. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. I've already extolled this book's merits, so I won't do it again.

0 comments: