16.1.09

Observations From -29F

I call Tennessee my home, where the Christmases are tender and the schools close for cold rain. However, I am going on my 7th year in Ann Arbor, and my standards have been redefined during this time. I can now drive in snow. Warm beverages are a staple. 20 (F) is the new 40.

Nevertheless, this morning is easily the single coldest morning I have experienced in over 2000 days in Ann Arbor, and it took about 15 seconds to realize it, despite the fact that yesterday was -1F. I walked (briskly) to the bus stop, shivered for a bit, got on and tried to warm my toes, and then we passed the Big Red "A", which has a digital thermometer, which said -14F. Once at work, weather.com pronounced my wind chill -29F. Some observations from this new nadir:

1. I hope I never get accustomed to this.
2. Beards freeze within 20 seconds.
3. Nose hairs also freeze.
4. Bus doors get stuck.
5. The combined body heat of a packed city bus will still not warm up my feet.

2 comments:

AbbyJP said...

You forgot the school closings, Eric!! Haha this probably has little effect on you, but the younger populace has been praying for -20 to appear on the superintendent's thermometer all week!!

The Drs. McLaughlin said...

as long as the younger populace doesn't do anything to land them in the Pediatric ER, I'm good. =)