22.2.08

Lobster Tail at Market Price

This is part of a story my wife would be unlikely to blog/brag about, so I'm telling it. There is a (in my opinion) very fine tradition at Rachel's residency program, where any resident who scores above a certain percentile on their annual inservice exam is treated (significantly, with their significant other) to a dinner on the house at the Chop House, Ann Arbor. The most-improved resident also gets a spot at the table. The remainder of the residents are taken out to White Castle by another boss physician, a tradition aptly termed "Chomp House". This is the third of four of Rachel's years, and we just got the news that she scored high enough for the third consecutive year, and was also the most improved. (I wonder if that means we can take a meal to go?)

Oh, Chop House, how I love thee! And how I would never shell out the cash to go there if it wasn't free. Fine service, excellent presentations, superb wine. The lobster bisque is a must to start off with, but the entree is always an interesting choice. Our first year, we were more cautious, ordering a middle-of-the-road steak (price-wise). Last year, I plucked up and splurged on the $54 Kobe beef steak, which was the finest steak I have ever tasted. The last great hurdle is the South African Jumbo Lobster Tail (roughly the size of a football), which goes for a mere "market price". Market price? You don't even want to know.

My wife is good to me. And by the way, she gets excited about this, too.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel your in-law parents are soooo proud of you. Good job and a great way to feed your husband too.